Thirsty amorous snakes are slithering into southeast Queensland homes as temperatures, prompting a spate of attacks on pets and humans.
Paramedics have attended 493 snake bite cases so far this year, a 6 per cent increase from the same time frame in 2016.
There were 27 snake bite incidents in August, according to Queensland Ambulance.
What do you do if you get bitten by a snake:
Call medical help immediately if possible
Remain calm, remember most snake bites are not fatal
Minimise movement if possible. If you are hiking alone you may have to hike out for help.
If you are bitten on the arm or finger remove any rings, bracelets or watches. Loosen any tight clothing in case swelling occurs
Apply a pressure bandage to the bitten limb. Ti the bite is to the trunk, head or neck, apply firm pressure to the bitten area. Do not restrict chest movement as breathing will be affected by this
Splint or use a sling on the bitten limb to restrict movement
If there is no bandage or equivalent to apply a pressure bandage make note of any inflammation by tracing the edge of the swelling with a pen or the like near/around the bite and mark the time clearly next to it. If it progresses make a new tracing noting the time of each new mark beside that new tracing. This will give valuable information to medical help as to the development of the swelling.
If possible, lie down and keep the bitten extremity at body level. Raising it can cause venom to travel through the body quicker. Holding it down, can increase swelling.
When possible arrange for transport to the nearest hospital emergency room, where anti-venom for snakes common to the area will often be available and given if required.
Gold Coast dog owner Ashley Vandevelde’s great dane spent five days at the AES hospital in Underwood after it was bitten repeatedly by an eastern brown and bled from the wounds on its tail and legs. Mr. Vandevelde said he was lucky to have found Taylor so soon after returning from work. “If it had happened in the morning it would have been too late,” he said. Taylor was injected with two vials of antivenene, coughed up blood and had to be given plasma because vets feared she would bleed into her lungs.
The five-year-old great dane was now “100 per cent”, Mr. Vandevelde said.
Moreton Bay snake catcher Peter Brabrook said the lack of rain was luring snakes to water bowls and warned pet owners to be vigilant.
Having a Suncoast Outdoor Living screen enclosure not only prevents unwanted guests from entering your outdoor entertaining area but means that your pets are in a safe environment when you are not home.